Monthly Update March 2015

tuscany

March was a wonderful month, but the most expensive so far. Moreover, I’ve a problem with the tax deduction from my gross basis. I really don’t know how to deduct a sum, I don’t really know, but a year after? This is frustrating, as I’ve to pay more then $3666 in tax in march and april. This is nearly twice as much, as I had anticipated and deducted all months before on the balance sheet(one third of this quarter payment). So what now? I’m tending to stop writing about my income/expenses because of this fact. The numbers are not correct otherwise. I’ll still track my income/expenses every month for myself to control the costs. Maybe for the blog, it only matters how much I can transfer to my broker account? What do you say?

(assuming €:$ 1:1.07 currency exchange rate )

Income

Obligations $1780
Business Expense $912
Vacation $310
Miscellaneous $3

Total Expense $5389

Saved Net Income -11%

When I subtract the tax obligation of $1780 from the income and expenses, it would be something like this:

Income: $2999
Expenses: $3609
Saving rate: -20%

So what about the rest of the cost explosion? I had to pay the tax consultant for closing a company and preparing the tax forms for 2013, which costs me about $912.
I bought some expensive gifts for my girlfriend, we made two weeks of holiday which includes one week in beautiful Italy and one week with my family in Germany. I went shopping and bought me some nice clothes($364). I agree – this has absolutely nothing to do with frugality and I will be more then frugal in the coming months!

Again I contributed nothing to my account.

Purchases

Stock Units Price Date Cost
ARCP 200 10.22 2015-03-02 $2044
HCP 50 40.45 2015-03-06 $2022
ARCP 200 9.36 2015-03-10 $1872
RDS.B 33 61.80 2015-03-10 $2039

Sells

Nothing.

Again, I bought into ARCP after reading their business update and found no additional frauds or risks other than the coming costs of class action law suit settlement fees, forensic accounting/legal fees, etc. And I anticipated the reinstatement of the dividend end of march. Looking back now – this was a mistake! Why didn’t I learn and waited for the actual reinstatement?
And I bought another REIT, this time one which is indeed paying a dividend and doing so for the last 29 years! HCP one of the biggest healthcare REITs available.
And again I added to energy with a new position in Shell!

Dividends

PSEC $42.48
MAIN $12.43
NMFC $49.13
BP $30.00
TCPC $61.20
HP $23.38
ESV $10.20
Total $228.82

I earned $228.82 in dividends this month! Wow nearly as much as december!

image (2)

image (3)

9 thoughts on “Monthly Update March 2015

• April 26, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Great looking month for dividend income though I don’t really care for the sources of that passive income. A lot of dangerous yield I see but I know some prefer jump starting their dividend income. You are one of the few that I see buying ARCP. Most have sold off their position after the fraud that came to light a few months ago. Thanks for sharing.

• April 26, 2015 at 11:21 pm

DivHut, thank you for your comment! As mentioned, I’m already decreasing the amount of BDCs and thus will also decrease the dividend yield of my portfolio by a large amount.
      ARCP – I really wanted to own a NNN REIT, but I found Realty Income overvalued and ARCP undervalued. But the difference now is, the one is paying a dividend and the other don’t. Obviously, I was too optimistic about ARCP and the reinstatement of the dividend. Maybe, I’ll sell it and reconsider it, when there is more clarity about the dividend.

• April 27, 2015 at 7:17 pm

DR,

I am really impressed about how deeply you track your budget. Well done!

Cheers,

RA50

• April 28, 2015 at 8:05 pm

DR, this way you’ll really stay disciplined. But of course you’ve to find the golden line between frugal and stingy – that’s why I try to get some vacation with my girlfriend here and there but without spending too much. It all has to be proportional. Thanks for stopping by!

• April 27, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Hi DR, nice monthly update. I really should track my monthly income, expense, and budget in the same disciplined way. Keep up the good work on dividend income!

All the best,
    MU

• April 30, 2015 at 11:14 pm

Hi MU,
      thank you for commenting! Yes, tracking expenses really showed me some big saving potentials which led to a relatively high saving rate in the end.
      Thank you and best of luck to you!

• April 30, 2015 at 4:20 am

DR, good job with the April update. I personally only track my dividend related account so you are doing a better job than me at keeping expenses & income on track.
    D4S

• April 30, 2015 at 11:21 pm

Hi Div4Son,
      thank you for your feedback! Maybe I’m doing a better job on this side, but your work on stock analysis, providing real great google spreadsheets and general strategy is far more worth to me 🙂
      Thank you for your work! Unfortunately I can’t comment on your site, because you provide no name/URL in the comment box. The WordPress account doesn’t work for me, because the blog is hosted externally.

• May 1, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I didn’t know about the comments issue. I will try to fix that.
        I am glad you liked the spreadsheets. I tried to implement the ideas from the books I’ve read and I think the spreadsheets are useful tools. I will add more tools in the upcoming months.
        D4S