Income/Expense January 2015

Each month I will post my income/expenses for the previous month. As I’m receiving my pay check in Euro, I’ll state the used exchange rate. I already subtracted the projected income tax which will be transferred every 3 months.

(assuming €:$ 1:1.17 currency exchange rate )

Income

Insurance $432.90
Business Expense $5.85
Entertainment $49.14
Miscellaneous $1.17

Total Expense $1426.23

Saved Net Income 75%

I contributed ca. $9600 to my deposit account.

January was another extraordinary income month for me! I did a small side hustle and received $877.50! Additionally I got an almost 10% salary increase. But the best of all – as I’m working in Switzerland and live in Germany, I’m profiting from the strong CHF since the Swiss National Bank decided to abandon the EUR/CHF floor. So this means another 15%(at the time of conversion).

Last month we took a week off, so this month we searched for less expensive relaxing opportunities. We visited the Swiss Alps and did a very romantic snowshoe hike and for some cozy winter evenings I’ve bought a chromecast and signed for a free trial month with netflix. Next month I will cancel the subscription and create a new account for my girlfriend. So we will enjoy another free month of netflix. I love living frugal and not missing a thing.

8 thoughts on “Income/Expense January 2015

• February 4, 2015 at 8:13 pm

DR,

That is an amazing savings rate. The only other person I have seen consistently save that much is NoMoreWaffles. Creating 3 years worth of freedom for each year you work will take you to FI in a flash. It will be fun to watch your progress.

Also, considering your expenses are so low and your investable income so high, I would focus on more stable dividend payers as you don’t have to rely on homeruns to win the game.

Don’t stop!

MDP

• February 5, 2015 at 6:22 pm

MDP,

Thank you for stopping by and your appreciation! I hope I can maintain my saving rate over a long time.

And you’re right, I should focus more on quality and dim down the weighting in high yielding companies. I’d like to count my last three purchases(BP,BBL,HP) into the former category.

Thanks for the motivation and inspiration!!
    DivRider

• February 25, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Congrats on that pretty amazing savings rate for the month. I know many strive for the 50% mark but when you hit 75% you are in a whole new class. Who says you have to miss out on fun living in a frugal manner. Thanks for sharing your recent income/expense report.

• April 26, 2015 at 1:44 pm

DH,
      thanks for visiting my Blog! I really try hard to achieve a high saving ratio, because I want to catch up with my “younger me”, which didn’t saved a penny, 10 years ago.

• February 26, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Wish i could save that much. Everything we make goes to debts. You’re investing in just pure monthly divys?

• April 26, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Aaron,
      if you’re in debt, focus on nothing else then frugality and repaying the loans. Motivate yourself by reading other Blogs with a similar goals! I wish you great success!

• March 1, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Awesome savings rate!! I’m amazed by how little you spend, living in Europe. I think everything there is more expensive. Do you use public transportation? I noticed your transportation spending is really low. Anyway, best of luck and you’re doing great!

• April 26, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Felix, thank you! No public transportation, but I cycle to work every day by myself – total amount almost 25km per day! This increases your fitness and costs you nearly nothing – except some minor repair work over the year. In fact, it’s even generating a great income(700€ per year), because the kilometer allowance is fully tax-deductible!
      We’ve an old but robust Toyota, which will only be used for heavy rainy days and the big weekly shopping(groceries) tour. Thanks for your encouragement! Best of luck to you, too!